Update: 6 December. Thank you, Penang! We are terribly excited to collaborate with some of you to make this series of events.
Next stop: Kuala Lumpur.
Call for co-hosts
Atelier S P A C E || Kuala Lumpur
Now calling for interest for Atelier S P A C E || Kuala Lumpur. Are you interested in making space for people to consider new possibilities? To be open, and adventurous, and curious? We are human beings and we need to stay that way. Get offline and be part of a popup zinemaking atelier, Atelier S P A C E, in KL in late January.
Or, become a co-host with us. For those who are curious, kindly get in touch. You can register your interest by filling out the form at the end of this page, sharing with us the angle you think makes the best sense for how you would like to be involved in our next programme. For a reference of what this could look like, see Singapore’s 10-12 November 2017 programme, here.
ARE YOU interested in art? Design? Do you care about community? Publishing? Awesome conversations? Do you love gathering people in ways that get them talking together animatedly, away from their phones, and engaged with one another?
DK has teamed with people for years to co-host salons and ateliers. Now we’re practicing the atelier, Atelier S P A C E, a roving international popup zinemaking workshop x conversation-salon. We love zines. They’re short. Light, fun, and spontaneous. Like the Atelier S P A C E experience itself: it’s a popup. We are ready. We are going. We are already on the move. But there are some things we are searching for, to make a truly collaborative and unique experiences where we are going next.
We are looking for people and space…
SOME OF THE FUNNEST programmes in the past have been collaborations with people who simply just love community spaces, where new and different others are engaged and connected, just hanging out, having a good time. There are a couple of art spaces we’ve jammed with, music venues like Cabaret in Phnom Penh, for example, or jazZ happens in Bangkok. Sometimes an art gallery, like Vermillion in Seattle or The Carrack Modern Art in Durham, NC, and DK naturally discover one another and dream up *a thing*, on the spot. Once, we found a cool design studio, Echostream Design Consultancy, in Gangtok, whose leadership was along these lines: ‘Yeah. That sounds good. What can we do to help?’ A co-working space can be a space. Or a bar. Or a cafe. Even a library or museum. The *where* isn’t important. It’s the *who*. These work very well with people who care about new things, are deeply curious, and ready to take a chance on something new. They might be in any field, but spacemaking in a quality way really matters to them.
Atelier S P A C E is never templated, each programme is different, because we bring in the character and personality of our co-hosts. That’s just what it means to co-create. We’re looking to make Atelier S P A C E in the popup style, on the fly. In search of the magic moment where we are noticing one another, in real life, together. Discovering people. Bricolage style, seeing what we can do when we show up for real life and let things happen. This past summer we did 16N in Hanoi, and the free flow style of it inspired this new idea, Atelier S P A C E. In which, let’s *make* something. Zines are a way to share in the moment of creating, together, as we go, so that’s our focus for Atelier S P A C E: to create a series of zines.
Ahead of our movements, we try to discover…
- CO-PRODUCERS. Would you like to co-create this with us? People who are in the business of hosting experiences are welcome to suggest a collaboration.
- TEAMMATES. Do you design? Illustrate? Code? What can you bring to the space that we can add to our skill set as we build and design the piece(s) we will make?
- SPONSORS. Can you or your organization provide financial support?
- TRANSLATOR(S). When English is a second language, we’d need some help here.
- PEOPLE WHO CAN SHARE THIS STORY. Who will come to share in the experience as observers? Who will take part in our conversation salons, and document what is shared so that others can enjoy the story? Friends in your community who can engage with the programmes, and talk about what’s happening, are an important part of this team to invite and to include.
- EVENT PROMOTERS. Ahead of our journey, we’ll be networking and looking for people to help us spread the word about our events, like the kickoff party and closing reception.
- INTERNS. A few spots are available to members of our S P A C E community for internships.
- POPUP OFFICE. Design studio preferable. That’s just because we are a little nerdy about the equipment we are used to (Adobe Creative Suite, et al), and these places tend to have such programmes installed.
- VENUE HOSTS. Do you have a fun venue? Do you programme events?
- ACCOMMODATION. A bright, one-bedroom studio, room to let, hotel or guesthouse. Quiet and clean. Weekly let, or monthly.
- A CAFE. The gathering place for informal meetings. Should be inexpensive, accessible, and owned by someone interested in participating in the atelier. It’s always nice to have a ‘third place’ to team with so that no one person or group becomes ‘the owner.’
- A LIBRARY. Where can we study, research, write, and gather notes?
Want to do this with us?
LET’S TALK? Tell us about you… Who are you, what would you like to see from a collaboration? What speaks to you about the Atelier S P A C E programme? Where are you? These are a few starter questions, but they’re just a place to start this conversation. Start as you like, we’re open to hearing your suggestions as we go.